Re: Perl upgrade dilemma.

David L. Anselmi wrote:
I'm getting set to attempt recovery by using the Debian Live rescue
CD. I'll use its tools to finish installing packages (dpkg --root or
Dir::RootDir for aptitude).

So dpkg and aptitude don't work so well from a rescue disk for this. They chroot before running the post-inst scripts, which means the broken perl is used.

I copied all the perl and perl-base files from the live CD to the broken machine (and sed, as that complained later on). The versions were close enough, I guess, and that fixed things.

So it looks like corrupted files was the problem. Guess I get to spend some time running disk diagnostics.

Dave