Re: Perl upgrade dilemma.

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 01:21:07AM -0700, David L. Anselmi wrote:
Here is the output from aptitude around the first failure:

Preparing to replace perl 5.10.0-18 (using .../perl_5.10.0-19_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement perl ...
Preparing to replace perl-base 5.10.0-18 (using .../perl-base_5.10.0-19_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement perl-base ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
syntax error at -e line 1, near "3];"
syntax error at -e line 1, near "2];"
Missing right curly or square bracket at -e line 2, at end of line

Those errors seem to come from the man-db trigger. Which is in
/var/lib/dpkg/info/man-db.postinst and runs a perl scriptlet.

Yes, but looking at the scriptlet the syntax looks OK and a similar program runs fine (replacing the exec man-db with print).

Setting up perl-base (5.10.0-19) ...

It seems that the old /usr/bin/perl is still there so perhaps the segfaults are because of library upgrades (libc6 was upgraded earlier in the process).

How do you see that the old perl is still there?

Because the checksum doesn't match what's in the .deb. But I didn't check it against the old package so maybe the file is corrupted.

I'm getting set to attempt recovery by using the Debian Live rescue CD. I'll use its tools to finish installing packages (dpkg --root or Dir::RootDir for aptitude).

During a reboot fsck found an error in a perl file (not /usr/bin/perl) so I'm not sure that finishing the upgrade will solve the problem. So I'll also try to run strace (not currently installed) on /usr/bin/perl and see if that helps. There are some bugs about perl segfaults but none as severe as mine.

Thanks for the reply!
Dave