Re: Why did you chose Debian over CentOS?

Joe McDonagh wrote:
At the risk of starting a huge religious war:

1. Preseed vs. kickstart

If you're only running at home or only a few machines at work, you're not going to run into this. Once you're done a RH install a .ks file is dropped under /root. You can now use this file to kickstart identical machines in PXE in a couple of minutes. There is no such automatic generation in Debian. You have to create the preseed by hand, and testing a preseed file isn't so fun as you need to pretty much reboot -> test over and over after you change stuff.

2. The disarray of configuration files vs centralized system config dir

In RH you have /etc/sysconfig. Almost every single system configuration file is under here. In Debian, anything goes.

3. RPM vs DPKG query subsystem.

No, not yum vs. apt-get or aptitude or aptsomethingelse. To find information with dpkg seems difficult and unwieldy. Example: Say you want to find what package a specific file belongs to. With dpkg you should a dpkg-query -s to search the cache. I don't like that. I just want to know what package a given file on the filesystem belongs to. rpm -qf $FILE, done. The query system is general in rpm is simple yet robust. dpkg-query just doesn't do it for me. And I also don't like how there are a bunch of dpkg-* files that split up various functions of the dpkg system.

Before all of Debian users pass a brick, this is mostly preference, except #1 is pretty hard to deny that RH makes your life a *lot* easier in that dept.

Stefan Monnier wrote:
it's pretty flawless. And I do agree about the ease of dist-> new dist
in-place upgrades. I just find that my most common tasks are simply easier
on RHEL/CentOS.

I'm curious: which tasks are these, and in which way are they made easier?
[ to give you some context: I only admin my own 4-5 home machines and
  have only vaguely used RedHat a bit some 10 years ago.  I use Debian
  mostly because they better agreed with my view of the world back when
  I got to choose. ]

        Stefan

1. Preseed vs Kickstart

There is a log of the install which one can use to configure Preseed. Also given some time the D-I team will surely cover this, if not already.

From experience, if you take the time to configure your Preseed file correctly and proof it then one install is all that is needed and there is no need for constant re-testing and re-booting.

2. Configuration files in Debian are under "/etc" either filed there or under a subdirectory.

3. RPM vs DPKG query subsystem

dpkg-query does not search the cache. It gets its information from the dpkg database.

"dpkg-query -S filename" will list the package that a file belongs to. How much simpler can it get using a console command!

Is it not logical to split up subsystems so that you can chose which subsystems you want to install and which you don't. Modularity simplifies maintenance and troubleshooting.

To avoid as you put it '...Debian users pass a brick...' making accurate statements would help.

A good place to start looking for accurate information on Debian is the Debian website, Debian Wiki and books such as The Debian Bible.