Re: both bootable in raid1

Francesco Pietra wrote:
Hi:

I am looking for a debian thread instructing how to make bootable both
disks in a mdadm raid1. I followed successfully the recipe time ago,
don't remember how, and unfortunately i did not take notice of. Unable
now to find the thread on the web. But I am sure there is and I need
to reapply the recipe.

Thanks

francesco pietra

Are you talking about setting up Grub on the other disk?

I got this in my notes:

*** Grub setup
Setting up GRUB: (assuming you've already installed it)
user@user:~$ sudo grub

grub> root (hd0,0)

grub> setup (hd0)

grub> root (hd1,0)

grub> setup (hd1)

grub> quit
Here is how /boot/grub/grub.conf is: (/dev/md0 mounted as /boot)
(Assuming kernel is installed as /boot/bzImage, and RAID1 support
compiled into the kernel).
# Boot automatically after 30 secs.
timeout 30

# By default, boot the first entry.
default 0

# Fallback to the second entry.
fallback 1

# For booting with disc 0 kernel
title  GNU/Linux (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage root=/dev/md1

# For booting with disc 1 kernel, if (hd0,0)/bzImage is unreadable
title  GNU/Linux (hd1,0)
kernel (hd1,0)/bzImage root=/dev/md1