Re: Why did you chose Debian over CentOS?

The FHS doesn't have much to do with what I am talking about. IIRC both distros follow the standard, but it doesn't actually mandate much beneath /etc.
2. The disarray of configuration files vs centralized system config dir

In RH you have /etc/sysconfig. Almost every single system configuration file
is under here. In Debian, anything goes.

I thought Debian[2] was supposed to be FHS[2]-compliant, although i'd
expect a webserver to have its data files in /srv/www[3] instead of
/var/www.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/FilesystemHierarchyStandard
[2] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#ETCHOSTSPECIFICSYSTEMCONFIGURATION
[3] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SRVDATAFORSERVICESPROVIDEDBYSYSTEM