incomplete kernel install, etch-backports

Hi,

I'm trying to update an older system to Etch.  I'm following Release
Notes for Debian GNU/Linux 4.0.  For hardware reasons, I ran the command

aptitude -t etch-backports install linux-image-2.6-686

Output for the command

aptitude show linux-image-2.6-686

includes

State: installed

However, even after running lilo, /vmlinuz is still symlinked to the old
kernel.

Is this related to the message I received during the installation, that
the boot loader needed to be configured to use an initrd?  And if so,
where do I find out how to do this?

Thank you.

Mark