Does DNSMasq (or other DNS/DHCP Servers) Cache Old Addresses?

I'm adding a new system to my LAN. The DNS is running DNSMasq and is on Etch. The new system is running Lenny. I edited the /etc/network/ interfaces file to include the following (other than loopback, the only interface in the file):

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 172.16.7.111
netmask 255.255.0.0
gateway 172.16.7.1

Originally, when Debian set up the system, it used DHCP instead of a static IP. This IP address (172.16.7.111) is defined on the DNS server in /etc/hosts (which DNSMasq uses for config). When Debian- Lenny set this up under DHCP, it was assigned the address 172.16.7.131. I edited the interfaces file to include the above. If I did "/etc/init.d/networking restart," then it would again get the ... 131 address. If I did "ifup eth0" (after doing ifdown first), then it'd get the 111 address it should have, but in at least one case, a few minutes later I checked and it was back to 131.

I finally shut down the new system and rebooted the DNS server -- after having shut off networking on the new system and restarting DNSMasq on the DNS. Then I brought up the DNS server, and after that, brought up the new system. Now it's working and it finally let me define eth0:0 as well (which it kept choking on before).

So why did it keep getting forced to use the 172.16.7.131 address instead of the one ending in 111? Did DNSMasq cache the MAC address or did the new workstation cache the info and reuse it automatically? What was it that the reboot would have restarted that would allow this system to finally get the specified address after the reboot?

Thanks for any help or answers on this!

Hal