running gedit as su brings error

Hello *

Recently I've been getting an error I've not seen before in Gnome: when
I run Gedit from a terminal as su, I get the following:

Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that
you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS
locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/
for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: Did
not receive a reply.)

gnome.org explanations relate to redhat, with no guidance for Debian
based systems.

I get the same thing when calling gnome's system log monitor, but not
when I call Synaptic.

Any clues out there?

--
Dave