Re: spam control

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 09:29:10 +0530, Girish Kulkarni (girish@hri.res.in) wrote:

> I've been managing my mail with Gmail for about three years now.  The
> primary reason for sticking to Gmail is their spam control.
>
> I now want to try moving back to the old mail spool on my Debian box
> and start managing mail myself.  I'm curious to know what spam control
> techniques people on this list currently use.
>
> How is your experience with the spam control tools already available
> (SpamAssassin, SpanBouncer, Bogofilter)?  Which one is the most
> favoured?  Is Gmail indeed the best option for controlling spam?

If you have control over your incoming email server then you can
possibly get away without even using spamassassin.  Using postgrey and
postfix with postfix set to reject for things like invalid HELO,
non-fqdn hostname, sender using a dynamic IP and/or in various
blacklists, I manage to *reject* most unwanted stuff rather than
accepting it and then, later, rejecting it with spamassassin.  I like to
think that rejecting it keeps me off the spammers' lists because it is
seen as a delivery failure.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only.  Do NOT send copies directly to me.