logging writes to disk (keeping disk from spinning down)

I have three SATA hard drives in a server; 2 of them are part of a RAID1 mdadm
array (with 3 ext3 filesystems), the third is a backup drive (with 1 ext3
filesystem).  I would like for these drives to spin down automatically when
they are not in use.

In hdparm.conf:
quiet
/dev/sda {
 spindown_time = 241
}
/dev/sdb {
 spindown_time = 241
}
/dev/sdc {
 spindown_time = 241
}

But the drives are not spinning down.  sdc should because, though the
filesystem on it is mounted, I don't know of anything that would be accessing
it.  The other 2 are written to by rsyslog which I have limited some; I intend
to more if I know what is being written to.  (Yes, I could look at the
timestamps but I need to see what files are being written to anyway for sdc.)

Is it possible to somehow log what is written to each of these 4 filesystems,
either by file or process (or both)?  The log could either be written to memory
(/tmp tmpfs) or to disk (writes to the log itself would have to be skipped).

Thanks.