Re: grub locked

On Friday 27 February 2009 02:18:26 Celejar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just greatly disturbed to find that I am unable to edit my grub
> command lines (with 'e') or to get a command shell (with 'c').  This
> used to work, although I can't remember the last time I tried it.
> Googling indicates that this is what happens when grub is locked, with
> 'password' command in menu.lst, but I have not done that!  What could
> be causing this?  I can still select a kernel choice with the cursor
> keys and the carriage return.

  Well, that is precisely the locked behavior.

  I can think of two things to try.

  Firstly, the "is it plugged in" question is, are you *sure*
that's your menu.lst file?  Might there be another one, maybe
in /grub (as opposed to /boot/grub)?  Have you accidentally
mounted something overtop of the root FS's /boot directory,
so the menu.lst that grub sees and the one you see are
different?

  Secondly, if this is indeed the right menu.lst, try setting
a password, and see if it works, and then unsetting it.

  Also, I noticed you have some Windows entries -- I suppose
it's possible that Windows has messed things up somehow.

				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net