Re: mount options to not reduce life of a USB memory stick

On 02/27/2009 04:38 PM, H.S. wrote:
Hello,

I have attached a USB stick (those little keychain devices) to my router
machine. The idea is to add those 2 GB space so that my friends and
family can transfer file to/from it.

Now, I am also concerned with the number of read/write cycles limitation
on these kind of memory devices. I have the following line in /etc/fstab
to mount the stick:

UUID=726D-5386 /media/tempdisk vfat
fmask=111,dmask=0,noauto,user,quiet,shortname=mixed,nosuid,noatime,flush,utf8
0 1

IIRC, this was based on some google search I did when I first attached
that device to the machine.

Any suggestion if this can be improved to prolong the life of the memory
stick? Or at least not reduce it on a Debian Testing system?

1. noatime has the most impact.

2. Modern flash memory lasts much longer than older flash,

3. How often will your friends/family be writing to it????

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

The feeling of disgust at seeing a human female in a Relationship
with a chimp male is Homininphobia, and you should be ashamed of
yourself.