Problems with slim

I wish to set up a minimal installation of Lenny for a netbook using slim as the display manager and lxde or xfce as the desktop.  It works fine except when I try to power off using the power off button from lxde or xfce, the shut down and power off buttons are greyed out.  I can power off by logging off and typing typing "halt" into the slim username field and my root password into the password prompt - but who wants to do this 10 times a day?  I have the same problem when I use xdm as the display manager, but not with gdm.

Maybe examining the code of xfce4-session-logout or the equivalent lxde applet would shed some light on this - but I doubt that I have the wit to do this.

Slim is also very slow to start up (despite its name).  When I try to shut down the slim daemon I get: "slim not responding to TERM signals" - and the daemon continues to run until I do a "kill -KILL" command.

There aren't any error messages in /var/log/slim.log that indicate a problem except for the following:

(WW) VESA(0): Failed to set up write-combining range (0xe0000000,0xe0000000).

I get this problem on my ancient Gateway 2150 laptop and on a virtual machine under Virtualbox - so I doubt that its a hardware issue.

Can anybody help here?