suspend to ram

I'm trying to get s2ram to work on my Acer Aspire 3690.  The machine is
in the whitelist:

# s2ram -n
Machine matched entry 14:
    sys_vendor   = 'Acer            '
    sys_product  = 'Aspire 3690 *'
    sys_version  = ''
    bios_version = ''
Fixes: 0x3  S3_BIOS S3_MODE
This machine can be identified by:
    sys_vendor   = "Acer            "
    sys_product  = "Aspire 3690     "
    sys_version  = "V3.03"
    bios_version = "V3.03"

but it fails to resume after suspending during normal operation (from X
or from the cli).  I have discovered that when running a minimal
system, with the kernel option init=/bin/bash, as per the s2ram site's
suggestion, resuming works fine.  What might be causing the failure
with the normal system, and what can I do about it?

Celejar