Re: Numeric keypad doesn't work!

Jeff Soules wrote the following on 02/25/2009 11:36 PM:

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 12:27 AM, Dennis Wicks <wix@mgssub.com> wrote:
Greetings;

I just noticed today that my numeric keypad doesn't work under Gnome, but
works fine in a console session. (Ctl-Alt-F1) I've tried changing the
keyboard brands and models but nothing makes any difference. Still doesn't
work, regardless of NumLock setting. And the LED does turn on and off with
the NumLock.

Anybody have the solution for this problem?

TIA!
Dennis

Is the keyboard model correctly set under Gnome's Keyboard Preferences
control panel?  How about in /etc/X11/xorg.conf ?  Are either of those
set to a keyboard type that doesn't have a numpad?

Just a shot in the dark, but can't hurt to check.

Good question! In 30 years I don't remember ever having a kbd that didn't have a numeric keypad, or one where the keypad didn't work. That is why I first thought that my keyboard wasn't working. Until I discovered that it worked in the console sessions but not in gnome.

Does anybody have a numeric keypad that works? What is your keyboard mfg and model set to? Mine is Generic 101 key PC.

Thanks,
Dennis