Re: Iceweasel, flash and usb headset

* H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> [2009-02-26 14:11:51 -0500]:

> Marco Vittorini Orgeas wrote:
>
> > I've installed adobe flash plugin for iceweasel not through the packaged version (flashplugin-nonfree) but simply putting the .so file object that can be found here http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html for 64 bit systems because quite a good number of persons report it to be working without problems.And in fact it is.
> >
> > Then, the problem: if I plug in my usb-headeset and I go to preferences->sound and for "Music and movies" i choose as sound playback "USB audio",
> >  Totem for example honors the fact I've choosen the usb as output and it outputs sounds through the headset.
> >
> > If I try to access  some flash videos through iceweasel, I get the the videos played and the sound always go through the HDA-Intel sound card!
> > I tried also to do something like: "asoundconf set-default-card Headset" and tried to restart iceweasel but nothing...the sound is always outputted through the Intel pci sound card.
> >
> > I tried starting iceweasel from command line to get some debug stuff:
> > when runned from my user I get no relevant messagges, but when I run it from a root shell session,I instead get no sound at all and some messages:
> >
> > ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
> > ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'defaults.namehint.extended'
> > ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
> > ALSA lib conf.c:3985:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
> >
> > I don't know actually what to look for,and my research give me no point to start with.
>
> Since no one else had replied yet, I will take a shot. But this is
> probably not what you were expecting.
>
> I have had a similar problem, but with Iceape. I am sure I would see
> this in iceweasel as well. It so happens that I installed PulseAudio a
> few months back (Debian Testing). In PA, I can stream audio to any
> device while "hot", i.e. the audio application does not need to be
> restarted for the change in device to occur. PA is superb, really! Not
> to mention the fact that you can play audio over the network without any
> problems.
>
> Now, in PA every application that is using an audio device appears in
> the list of the device chooser GUI of PA. Not iceape though. It looks
> like it does not use an audio device as a stand alone application.

> My solution to this is to route the default audio stream that is going to
> the my PCI audio card to my USB headset. After I am done with iceape, I
> revert that change.

Well, but how to do this without install PulseAudio ?

> So, not ideal, but it works.
>
> Regards

Maybe someone else can suggest a method to do so, or just some other thing to at least have some more verbose debug from Firefox/iceweasel and try to understand what is not working...

Anyway, thank you for your suggestions here.

thank you again

Marco