Re: Iceweasel, flash and usb headset

Marco Vittorini Orgeas wrote:

> I've installed adobe flash plugin for iceweasel not through the packaged version (flashplugin-nonfree) but simply putting the .so file object that can be found here http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html for 64 bit systems because quite a good number of persons report it to be working without problems.And in fact it is.
>
> Then, the problem: if I plug in my usb-headeset and I go to preferences->sound and for "Music and movies" i choose as sound playback "USB audio",
>  Totem for example honors the fact I've choosen the usb as output and it outputs sounds through the headset.
>
> If I try to access  some flash videos through iceweasel, I get the the videos played and the sound always go through the HDA-Intel sound card!
> I tried also to do something like: "asoundconf set-default-card Headset" and tried to restart iceweasel but nothing...the sound is always outputted through the Intel pci sound card.
>
> I tried starting iceweasel from command line to get some debug stuff:
> when runned from my user I get no relevant messagges, but when I run it from a root shell session,I instead get no sound at all and some messages:
>
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
> ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'defaults.namehint.extended'
> ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
> ALSA lib conf.c:3985:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
>
> I don't know actually what to look for,and my research give me no point to start with.

Since no one else had replied yet, I will take a shot. But this is
probably not what you were expecting.

I have had a similar problem, but with Iceape. I am sure I would see
this in iceweasel as well. It so happens that I installed PulseAudio a
few months back (Debian Testing). In PA, I can stream audio to any
device while "hot", i.e. the audio application does not need to be
restarted for the change in device to occur. PA is superb, really! Not
to mention the fact that you can play audio over the network without any
problems.

Now, in PA every application that is using an audio device appears in
the list of the device chooser GUI of PA. Not iceape though. It looks
like it does not use an audio device as a stand alone application. My
solution to this is to route the default audio stream that is going to
the my PCI audio card to my USB headset. After I am done with iceape, I
revert that change.

So, not ideal, but it works.

Regards.

ever having been read.