Re: initial web in wifi

On Thursday 26 February 2009 02:51:04 Jesus arteche wrote:
> Someone can tell me how or where can i find some information about how to
> implement a system that when an user connect to my wifi the first web
> that appear when he open the web browser it will be my enterprise web. I
> have connected a debian server to my acces point with a bind, dhcp server
> and a firewall (iptables).

The term for this is generally "captive portal".  A web search for that term
should give you a number of useful applications, some of which will be free
software and may be available for Debian.

I've never had the need to set up such a system. [1] However, one of my
roommates is using such as system, based on WifiDog, IIRC.  I'm not sure if
it is available for Debian, but I've heard mostly good things about it.

[1] Actually, I despise captive portals.  The first thing I do with a
network connection is not "open a web browser".  I'll use email (via SSL)
and SSH for hours before I need a web browser.  Captive portals also confuse
the crap out of my RSS feed reader.  Heck, my web browser doesn't even open
a web page when it starts (I use about:blank), so I have to make use some
address to go to so that the captive portal with authenticate me and I can
freakin' use the fsckin' Internet which is much larger than "the web".

For the love of $deity, provide some method for regular users to bypass the
captive portal (e.g. if their MAC address is known-good).