Re: Please brainstorm: Word-processor compatible with version control

On Tuesday 10 February 2009 12:59:05 Hendrik Boom wrote:
> I'd like a word processor compatible with version control systems
> (hereafter abbreviated VCS)  Having been duly impressed for decades now
> how useful VCSs are for programming, I'd like to use them for writing as
> well.
>
> I use monotone as my VCS. but I don't suppose my trials are unique to
> monotone.
>
> There are a few other requirements, too, such as ability to export to
> file formats often demanded by publishers (such as pdf, Word, and plain
> ASCII text)

KWord can save as "exploded" ODF, which is a directory with the same file
layout as the zip-file layout of the ODF format.  From here you can use
standard text handling tools, mostly.  It's still XML, so you might try tools
that are specialized for handling an "XML diff".

I've also heard of a "oodiff" or "odfdiff" tool that can handle the normal ODF
format as output to OpenOffice.org or whatever ODF editor you want to use.

ISTR monotone allowing you to choose what tool(s) are used for merging and
auto-resolving conflicts through various hooks.