Re: Can't mount RAID 5: "Can't find ext3 filesystem"

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 09:19:29AM +0100, Jose Legido wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:

[snip]

> > recreate creates a new md device - blank, although there are some
> > options to make a create look like a assemble.
> >
> > assemble is what the system does when it put the device together to make
> > the mdX device
>
> If I recreate my raid I lost all my data? Can I recovery my data?

from mdadm

Create Create a new array with per-device superblocks

Assemble
              Assemble  the components of a previously created array
into an active array.

I am not sure exactly what the create does to the underlying space but
there is this option

--assume-clean
              Tell mdadm that the array pre-existed and is known to be
clean.  It can be useful when try‐
              ing to recover from a major failure as you can be sure
that no data will be affected unless
              you actually write to the array.  It can also be used when
creating a RAID1  or  RAID10  if
              you  want to avoid the initial resync, however this
practice — while normally safe — is not
              recommended.   Use this only if you really know what you
are doing.

to be sure have a look at the source. you might be lucky and nothing
will be written to the fs area, might be a matter of just rescanning it,
but then again you might not

that is why i stick to assembly and use create only as a last resort and
usually with --assume-clean option!

[snip]

--
Whoever tells a lie cannot be pure in heart -- and only the pure in heart
can make a good soup.