Re: Fedora guy byebyes Debian

Hi,

Jimmy Johnson wrote:
If you like Fedora then you will love CentOS, in my humble opinion
Fedora is no more than testing for Red Hat, while CentOS is Red Hat
Enterprise.

Umm, I think it would be more correct to compare Fedora with Debian SID -- Fedora is testing ground and the baby of Red Hat, somewhat bleeding edge, as is SID. Red Hat feeds off Fedora just like Debian stable feeds off SID thanks to all those that are happy to work with unstable for whatever reasons suit them.

If you want a comparison to Red Hat, not Fedora, then I think that Debian stable [Lenny at this time], is a reasonable comparison; however, CentOS with the Red Hat dollars and clout just _might_ be more superior in some ways -- but it all mostly comes back to choice.

If I wanted to run a Red Hat 'equivalent', then I would choose CentOS -- but Fedora is no equivalent to Red Hat or CentOS by any means today.

I've often found that packages are slow to make it to stable and you hear of this package or that package; you follow it up and find that it isn't available in stable... it might be in testing, but it is more likely to be in SID. Anyway, that is a lot more to do with stable vs testing vs unstable -- it is hard to expect stable to have the latest software, or as many packages. Heck, how many packages remain at beta stage forever or close to it?

Anyway, the whole premise that Fedora should be compared with Lenny is quite a stretch to start with.

Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP