non-dpkg owned libc6 - etch to lenny upgrade problem

Consider me a newbie - trying to upgrade etch to lenny, getting msg about
having a non-dpkg owned copy of libc6-i686.  "Can't live with it, can't live
without it".  Can't remove it. Can't upgrade with what I have.  Previously
I've done all installs and upgrades with apt-get.  I started this system
with sarge, and successfully upgraded to etch a couple of years ago and have
kept etch upgraded.  I've tried apt-get -f dist-upgrade and aptitude
dist-upgrade with same results.

Specific next steps, please?

Thanks! - John