Re: Fedora guy byebyes Debian

Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo wrote:
> Well, a fun time (one week), sweating it up to make my ATI and Wifi work
> in Lenny AMD64 but nothing. With old fedora wifi works from the live cd
> and ATI with the update. No need even to try it with my dell or my
> Aspireone. So byebye Debian.

FWIW, my ati works out of the box with debian. The 'enhanced' binary
drivers of ATI are a bit of a pain, but that's ATI's problem not debian's.

> I found on lenny many of the bugs and troubles found in Fedora 8 and 9,
> which all today are old history. Why losing time? Cant' understand.
> Lenny is a nice white-haired rookie (altough older than fedora), apt is
> nice, directory structures and config files are better than fedora, but
> I hardly find Debian a stable distro.

What do you think would be a stable distro? I don't think that fedora is
more stable than debian stable.

> Pulling her to further limits
> causes a quick breakage. I find hard fedora reporting a segfault, like
> lenny gave yestarday on networks-admin gui. Why the battery indicator
> suddenly dissapeared, being the panel thingy active? Why it takes so
> long to boot -sometimes-?

I guess you just had some bad luck with messing with different
configurations. For me debian works near to perfect with out much
configuration out of the box.

>From what you wrote I guess you just tried to mess too much and too
impatiently with a distro unfamiliar to you. You end up prefering the
one you are used to. No big deal.

> Farewell, debian. Thanks everybody.

Good luck with your choice. We are all in for the freedom of choice and
that includes the choice to try software and choose to use a different one.

It would have been nicer, though, if you had just found a constructive
way of solving your problems instead of just an unconstructive rant.

Cheers,
Johannes