Re: Fedora guy byebyes Debian

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 09:22:08AM -0400, Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo wrote:
> Well, a fun time (one week), sweating it up to make my ATI and Wifi work
> in Lenny AMD64 but nothing. With old fedora wifi works from the live cd
> and ATI with the update. No need even to try it with my dell or my
> Aspireone. So byebye Debian.

I have been using Debian Lenny/sid on my Dell Inspiron 1525 for
several months now, and it's rock solid.

> I found on lenny many of the bugs and troubles found in Fedora 8 and 9,
> which all today are old history. Why losing time? Cant' understand.
> Lenny is a nice white-haired rookie (altough older than fedora), apt is
> nice, directory structures and config files are better than fedora, but
> I hardly find Debian a stable distro. Pulling her to further limits
> causes a quick breakage. I find hard fedora reporting a segfault, like
> lenny gave yestarday on networks-admin gui. Why the battery indicator
> suddenly dissapeared, being the panel thingy active? Why it takes so
> long to boot -sometimes-?

Several issues you mention seem very vague at best. The delayed boot
may be because of a misconfigured network settings, but for all the
other stuff, any potent mixture of hardware/software
(mis)configuration issues can cause problems. Being a good citizen of
the free software ecosystem requires of people to ask queries on
mailing lists and bring to the notice of the bug tracking system the
issues they face, with sufficient detail. So, I would request you to
detail on your troubles, rather than provide a vague rant which does
no good, but does pump up the blood pressure of some.

Thanks.

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah