Re: New Video Card

On Tuesday 24 February 2009 00:28:00 Ken Teague wrote:
> David Baron wrote:
> > No, not a big gamer but newer kde needs opengl. I remember the wierd
> > artifacts in that old Mac64 with my own compiled dri stuff and my son's
> > complaining about that card. The nvidia was great in comparison
>
> Artifacts are no good.  Of the two cards you mentioned, I think you
> would have the best luck with the Matrox.
>
> > The "debian way" does nothing. I do not have X-configure
>
> X-configure isn't a command.  X is the command and -configure is the
> argument to the command.  X -configure

Yeah, I figured that one out. That's what that lower screen resolution does to
ya :-)

Ran X -configure with the matrox in, got the Device as mga as should be
expected. I noticed that DRI is failing to run. Here is the error:
(EE) MGA(0): Static buffer allocation failed, not initializing the DRI
(EE) MGA(0): Need at least 9216 kB video memory at this resolution, bit depth

This card "Millenium" has to have more than that. I can modprobe the mgs/drm
OK (it did not get done by X). There are no resolution or bit depth options in
the xorg.conf. I am certainly ready to run at 16-bit.

The xorg.conf file produced by X -configure shows a long list of commented,
options but none touching depth or resolution. All the old resolution stuff I
had in the old xorg.conf (imported from the xfree version and probably
produced by knoppix's configure) are not in the new one or distrib one and may
not even apply to the current monitor.