Re: How to protect an encrypted file system for off-line attack?

2009/2/23 Javier <javuchi@gmail.com>:
> The main point here is: if he is lucky enough, no police would enter
> into his house.

Since this has become a tinfoil hat thread more than an encryption thread...

My own personal solution to the problem has been this: my hard drive
decryption password is 25 random printable ASCII characters. And I do
mean random. It's something like >]\gj-eR4cn-nc;I@{gaWA*pO, which I
have committed to *muscle memory*. That is, if you ask me what my
password is, I genuinely don't know it, because I have to sit in front
of a keyboard to type it out, and I often make mistakes. I also rotate
it once a year. My hope is that this means the password can't be
obtained from me under duress, because I would be unable to type it
out without making mistakes if I were under duress.

My paranoia is vaguely justified, since I live in Mexico and we do
have an ongoing history of torture in this country, although I'm not
too sure what the torturers could want from my hard drive except my
homemade pr0n (that's really the reason I encrypt my laptop's hard
drive, so that in case of theft my girlfriend and I don't end up in
RedTube). How do you justify your paranoia, Javier? ;-)

- Jordi G. H.