Re: Java in Debian 5

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009, Paul Johnson wrote:

Adrian Levi wrote:
2009/2/22 Celejar <celejar@gmail.com>:

I was actually surprised by the fact that I apparently had a bunch of
java stuff marked as manually installed.  I run aptitude without
automatic installation of recommends, and I have no idea when I would
have marked stuff like 'libxom-java' or 'bsh' (BeanShell) as manually
installed, since I'm not a java dev.

Stuff tends to build up over time. It happens under linux but nowhere
at the speed that I used to find the same thing happening under
Windows.

No doubt about that.  When cleaning up an older server I have at home, I
found files from 1999 in /etc/ for packages long since dropped and
replaced.  In some cases, belonging to packages that no longer exist!

I thought that using package management to do system updates, like apt-get update followed by apt-get dist-upgrade, removed packages that became obsolete, and thence associated files, other than data files created by the packages.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."