Re: Java in Debian 5

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 07:30:41 +1000
Adrian Levi <adrian.levi@gmail.com> wrote:

> But you can use Openoffice.org without java but for Base, even then
> IIRC it's only used for some of the functionality
>
> I found a feally good link [1] that describes exactly what Java
> provides in the different components of openoffice.org

Thanks for that; I used that info, and repeated invocations of 'aptitude
why some-java-package' to remove a bunch of java packages from my
system.

I was actually surprised by the fact that I apparently had a bunch of
java stuff marked as manually installed.  I run aptitude without
automatic installation of recommends, and I have no idea when I would
have marked stuff like 'libxom-java' or 'bsh' (BeanShell) as manually
installed, since I'm not a java dev.

> If you have issues with Java 'tainting' your system then power to you,
> but both Staroffice and Java were invented by Sun Microsystems then
> released to the community freely. Open JDK is a completely free
> implementation of Java that satisfies the DSFG.
> I really don't see what your grumble is.

I have nothing against it, since it's FLOSS, but I'd rather not have a
bunch of stuff on my system for functionality that I don't use.  And
with the greatness that's Debian, if I ever *do* need it, it's only a
quick and easy 'aptitude install' away.

Celejar