Re: KDE 4

thveillon.debian wrote:
M. Lewis a écrit :
Following the instructions at
http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/experimental.html

Is it a problem that aptitude wants to uninstall kde (as well as LOTS of
other s/w)?

TIA,
Mike

[snip]

Hi,

I installed kde4 from experimental on a testing system not long ago, and
in my experience full kde3 and full kde4 can't live peacefully together
on the same system... So what's not upgradeable from kde3 is removed.
kde being a vitual package, if only one of the real packages it depends
on is removed the virtual package has to be removed altogether. Nothing
to be alarmed of if what you want is kde4.

Tom

I installed KDE4.2 on a testing system as well (VirtualBox is great!). I first installed Lenny, then updated, upgraded to Sid, upgraded to experimental, and then followed the procedure mentioned above.

The first two times I did this, I got "(kdmgreet) crashed and caused the signal 11(SIGSEGV)". This prevented X from starting. If I tried to start kdm via /etc/init.d/kdm start, it complained about something like '--old-kde doesn't start with /share/apps' or something similar to that. I should have written it down verbatim. I never was able to resolve that issue. I could start X by 'startx' at the console, however it brought up a Gnome session rather than KDE.

The third time I tried this on VirtualBox, it worked fine. No issues at all.

If someone might know what caused the error the first two times, I would certainly be interesting in learning the solution.

Thanks,
Mike

--

 IBM: Incredibly Big Manufacturer
  22:20:01 up 1 day, 23:31,  2 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.18, 0.25

 Linux Registered User #241685  http://counter.li.org