Re: Java in Debian 5

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009, Adrian Levi wrote:

If you have issues with Java 'tainting' your system then power to you,
but both Staroffice and Java were invented by Sun Microsystems then
released to the community freely. Open JDK is a completely free
implementation of Java that satisfies the DSFG.
I really don't see what your grumble is.

Slight correction; Star Office was created and supplied by the Star Division, which was taken over by Sun. When Sun took it over, Sun scrapped alot of the functionality of Star Office.

I know; I was using Star Office a long time ago, and got (the free version, for private and educational use), on CD, about 10 years ago. At that time, from memory, a license to use Star Office5.x for commercial purposes, cost about 299USD.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarOffice , for a bit more information about Star Office, and the functionality that was eliminated by Sun.

It was also far superior to Open Office, or generating HTML documents, as Star Office 5.x did not bloat HTML files with rubbish, and, vandalise the files by reformatting them, and changing the links, etc, like Open Office does.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."