Re: Java in Debian 5

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 01:18:16AM +0900, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009, Adrian Levi wrote:

>>> So, to use Open Office, Java is needed?
>>>
>>> I understood that Open Office could be run without Java, unless a person
>>> wanted to use the Open Office database.
>>
>> If you install a desktop task then the openoffice.org meta package is
>> installed and that depends on all of the openoffice packages which
>> also depends on a java JDK.
>>
>> You can install the openoffice items separately thereby not requiring
>> Java to be installed.
>>
>> Adrian
>>

> Which is yet another reason that many of us want them to reinstate Star
> Office 5.2.

Reminder:

StartOffice 5.2 was a proprietary application, using the motif toolkit
which had its own proprietary file formats. Has no decent support for
bidirectional or CJK text (or other types of complex text layout). It
ran in its own separate "desktop" (one big window with everything in it)
which did not play nice at all with the concept of window manager on
X11.

And a bit of (free) Java is what puts you off?

> It was far superior to Open Office, and, did not require Java, unless
> the database was to be used, from memory, although I had had a database
> running in at least one version of Star Office 5.x, without Java.

If you think that Java should not be required for database support (it
is not required in koffice, for instance), go ahead and provide a
different implementation. The people of Sun know Java well and like it.

For the same reason you see lots of GUI stuff in RedHat or Ubuntu done
in python and why the monkeys over at Ximian^WNovell like mono and use
it for everything.