Re: [OT] Linux on the London Tube?

Sholem Aleichem wrote:
> I liked that. Shame it wasn't for a GNU/Linux system. Not sure London
> underground adverts would do much good though.

Microsoft thinks otherwise, advertising heavily on the overhead boards
or even entire car ceilings on board Portland's MAX light rail system.

Though I think the last time I will ever ride the Screechcar (so named
by the locals for the loud, almost piercingly high-pitched, nasal,
screechy voice they found to read the stop announcements and who is
sponsoring the stops on Portland Transit's underfunded streetcar
line[1]) will be if the announcement screech says a stop's sponsored by
Microsoft.

[1] I'm pretty sure the voice itself is recorded and not synthetic, in
which case I really feel sorry poor woman who is cursed to have a voice
that sets off the fingernails-on-chalkboard reflex in all who haven't or
aren't able to tune out something that annoying after 10 years.