Re: tools to get a mirror of modem/router configuration

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 14:32:19 -0500
"H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

> H.S. wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I vaguely recall that we can somehow "copy" or mirror the configuration
> > interface (accessible via a browser) of a modem or a router to a local
> > hard disk. This can be then browsed from that saved copy. Anybody know
> > if we have tools or packages in Debian to do so?
> >
> > The objective is to 'mirror' the configuration of a modem so that I can
> > walk the user through the configuration steps whenever need be (I can
> > click through the interface on my copy and the user will be browsing his
> > modem's actual interface).

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm having trouble imagining that
there can really be any solution for the general case.  These units, at
least the home / SOHO types with which I'm familiar, all use
proprietary web based interfaces, often with lots of (yuck)
javascript.  For any given interface, I suppose one could write some
sort of scraper, but how could this be implemented as a general tool?

Celejar