Re: radeonhd on R5xx based card + dri very slow

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 04:55, Thomas Preud'homme
<thomas.preudhomme@celest.fr> wrote:
> On Thursday 19 February 2009 09:32:33 Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:43:17 +0100
>> "Thomas Preud'homme" <thomas.preudhomme@celest.fr> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> > Yes, all of these is installed. I'm sorry in fact because I forgot about
>> > this thread: I actually found what was the problem. ATI cards need an
>> > additional option in xorg.conf in the section "Device":
>> >
>> >         Option          "DRI"
>> >
>> > For those who would seek for the same information, I attach my xorg.conf
>> > to this email. As latest xorg now uses evdev instead of kbd, I attach my
>> > working evdev config un hal. I don't know if it's a clean configuration
>> > but it's a working one. By the way, I think there is a bug on
>> > xserver-xorg because a reconfigure modify the xorg.conf for the keyboard
>> > although this does nothing. Only modifications in
>> > /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi have made xorg
>> > recognize my keyboard layout and options.

>> > Yep it is. It's an X1600 Mobility chipset. It now perfectly works with
>> > transparency on KDE 4 :)
>>
>> That's great news! Thanks for posting back!
>
> It is indeed. I will definitively buy ati chipset based card for my next
> computer. Having a free (as in free speach) driver is nice. And it is far more
> stable than fglrx driver.

Glad you got it working. It is worth noting that the "DRI" option is not in any
 way ATI-specific. It is needed to turn on Direct Rendering Infrastructure
(aka accelerated 3D) for any card. The binary blob drivers may not use it
(I don't know), if so, it is because they basically implement their own thing
outside of X's native systems.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers