Re: Seriously, no way to reconfigure video card in lenny?

S D wrote:

>> removed from
>> it? How can one
>>> It's supposed to be automagic now, built into xorg
>> itself.
>>
>> If that doesn't work, "Xorg -configure"
>> should give you a starting point
>> for xorg.conf.  Further customizing has to be done with
>> your favorite
>> text editor.
>
> I'm trying to resolve a specific issue that appeared after upgrade from etch to lenny, see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=515840.
>
> In etch the video card was configured using dpkg-reconfigure and it was working marvelously.  In lenny it's all screwed up and dpkg-reconfigure no longer allows to reconfigure the video card. It's simply not clear for what needs to be customized to get it working.
>
> Thanks

I use Testing. I think I hit that situation when the change occurred.
The solution, at least for me, at that time was to just rename
/etc/X11/xorg.conf to something else and restart gdm. Xorg then, not
finding any xorg.conf, creating a new file which, IIRC, seemed to work
right out of the box.

But I understand your situation. The earlier ncurses dialog for
configuring the xserver had more information than the present method,
whatever that is.

ever having been read.