Re: digital camera recomendations

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 04:40:04PM +0000, kj wrote:
>> Mike McClain wrote:
>>> I'm in the market for an inexpensive digital camera.
>>> Just for snapshots and was wondering if anyone had recommendations
>>> or knows where I could find which are going to work with Debian.
>>> Just something simple with USB, AA batteries and that uses a generic
>>> mem card.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mike
>> Out of curiosity, why AA?   Losing the AA will give you a much more
>> compact camera.  Very few cameras accept AA batteries these days
>> anyway.
>
> while I can't speak for OP, I love having a camera that takes AA for a
> variety of reasons: ready availability of spares anywhere, common
> usage in a multitude of devices meaning my stock of rechargeables is
> more versatile, big hands don't like tiny tiny cameras ;-)

In my experience, the proprietary batteries last longer but are much
more expensive. In a G5 I have, the battery needed to be replaced after
around 4 years. And some months after that the camera developed a few
hot pixels. So it appears as though the life of the CCD sensor may not
be that much longer than the propitiatory battery, which actually gives
a much better performance.

In addition to the cost factor, the main quirk I have with these kind of
models is that the camera cannot be used during the recharging of the
battery (unless one buys an external charger, though some camera may
have them included).

Having said this, I also have a A520 which takes AA batteries. I also
have one of those wonderful Maha chargers which trickle charge batteries
after they are fully charge. So I can use a set of AA batteries while
the other is being charged. The downside is that I have to take the
charger with me if I travel. Finally, rechargeable NiMH batteries last
longer and change used in other appliances as well and are cheaper than
proprietary ones.

Final word: depends on the usage and the user of the camera. Eg. I
prefer AA batteries. But recently an uncle of mine, who is a senior
citizen, asked for camera recommendation and I suggested he go for a
camera with a "built-in battery". It is much more compact and there is
lesser stuff to worry about.

ever having been read.