Re: Will installing libc6-i686 on my i586 crunch my installation?

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 02:33:52PM +0100, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for bothering you again :-/
>
> > It really depends on what you want.  If you want to stick to Sarge
> > (which may be sensible on a system with only 24 MB RAM), you should
> > point your sources.list to it, i.e. use
> > deb http://archive.debian.org/debian/ sarge main contrib non-free
>
> Thanks for the tip, already did that.
>
> >  and downgrade packages to their Sarge version.
> Whats the best way of doing that?
> I already googled a lot, but I don't see how pinning could help in my case :-/
>
> The problem for now is, when I e.g. try to install ssh with "apt-get
> install", apt reports a lot of packages can't be installed because
> they depend on libc6 > 2.3.2 which is marked to be not installed.
>
> apt-get -f install tells me it would remove half of my system
> (including apache, postgres, ...).

It seems very strange if the ssh package you are trying to install is in
Sarge, for it to want to pull in something that is not in Sarge.  You
should probably send us your entire sources.list.

The best way to sort out problems is with aptitude's visual mode.

Doug.