Re: Screen Resolution

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Koh Choon Lin <kohchoonlin0@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am using ATI Mobility Radeon, normally I would be using the vesa
>>> driver at 1280x1024. Its now at 1024x768 and GNOME doesn't offer any
>>> higher while my xorg.conf has no info at all.
>>>

>> So are you using the binary driver? I think the Catalyst control centre has
>> options for this. Failing that, you may well have to modify your xorg.conf.
>> If you don't have one, running 'Xorg -configure' as root will save a default
>> configuration file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf; you need the right metamode option
>> in the 'Screen' section for the resolution you want.
>> For reference, mine looks like this:
>
> Well, mine is as below, I suspect the specs (eg. configured monitor)
> are contained in another file. Thus, I am looking for the file.

I'm not aware of any split config for Xorg, but that does look unusual -
particularly because no video driver is defined. I guess it must just pick the
first driver that works.

You could try just adding the metamodes line, though you might find
that you then
need to configure the monitor to have the right VertRefresh and
HorizSync, so I'd
give the 'Xorg -configure' option a go and see if that gives you a less bare
template. With any luck it'll fill in those options by querying the monitor.

Nye