Re: DVD install question

Ron wrote:
>On 02/17/2009 02:50 AM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>>
>> That's a shame, as the testing we did on release day worked fine. I
>> don't see any bug reports from you, though...
>>

>The sha1summ of the downloaded ISO matched that of the "upstream"
>ISO, but I could never correctly generate the sha1summ of the burned
>DVD.  So, not being able to demonstrate that it wasn't my fault, I
>filed no bug.

Ah, OK. This is a common problem I've heard. Most DVD-writing software
will pad the end of the image as it's written, so you'll need to be
careful to avoid that when reading back for your checksum comparison.

Find the number of blocks in the image by dividing by 2048 (ISO block
size) and then use dd:

$ dd if=/dev/scd0 bs=2048 count=$numblocks | sha1sum

"I can't ever sleep on planes ... call it irrational if you like, but I'm
 afraid I'll miss my stop" -- Vivek Dasmohapatra