Re: digital camera recomendations

On 2009-02-14T15:30:41, Mike McClain wrote:
> I'm in the market for an inexpensive digital camera.
> Just for snapshots and was wondering if anyone had recommendations
> or knows where I could find which are going to work with Debian.
> Just something simple with USB,

Most cameras support mass storage device class these days.

> AA batteries

That is probably what limits your choices the most.

> and that uses a generic
> mem card.

You may want to make that one of the SD (or Compact Flash).  Sony, I
think, are the only company that pushes memory sticks.  MMC was iffy on
Linux although I think things improved and the world is moving on.

Check out: <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs.asp>.

Unless you plan on enlarging or cropping your images mega pixels (MP) is
irrelevant.  If you can try take some photos of people in conditions
that require flash.  Some cameras elicit closed eyes, others are too
slow to capture what you point at.

We have been disappointed with Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX35 (2008), and
somewhat frustrated with the closed eyes of a Nikon Coolpix 7900 (2005)
but have some beautiful results from it.  If you don't mind the bulk
check out the entry level DSLRs; they use bigger sensors than point and
shoot cameras and are coming down in price.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC