Re: converting ms word files

On 02/11/2009 02:09 AM, Daniel Dalton wrote:
On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 01:56:30AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 02/11/2009 01:22 AM, Daniel Dalton wrote:
Hi,

What's the best console tool (text-mode), to convert ms word files to
plane text?
catdoc, seems ok, works on most files, but looses a lot of formatting.
Well, sure you lose formatting going from Word to text. Can you be more specific as to what you mean?

Yep, well, I just mean like indentation, numbers, tables converted to
tabs, etc.
When I say numbers I mean the auto numbering word does, and for that to
show up in plain text as 1, 2, 3 etc...

Does that make sense, and possibly other things.

antiword, seems quite good, but it doesn't work on every file...

What are people using, any better suggestions?

I have a script here ready to go, so all I have to do is set the prog
variable... I get a lot of these files unfortunately, so any suggestions
would be appreciated.
$ abiword --to=txt some_file.doc

Uh... I was hoping to avoid starting the gui...

Hmmm. *Maybe* it would work from the console. Two ways to find out, and one doesn't require that you know C... :)

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification