Re: converting ms word files

On 02/11/2009 01:22 AM, Daniel Dalton wrote:
Hi,

What's the best console tool (text-mode), to convert ms word files to
plane text?
catdoc, seems ok, works on most files, but looses a lot of formatting.

Well, sure you lose formatting going from Word to text. Can you be more specific as to what you mean?

antiword, seems quite good, but it doesn't work on every file...

What are people using, any better suggestions?

I have a script here ready to go, so all I have to do is set the prog
variable... I get a lot of these files unfortunately, so any suggestions
would be appreciated.

$ abiword --to=txt some_file.doc

Requires some GNOME and GTK libs, though.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification