getting debian to talk to windows

I'm using debian 2.6.18-6-amd64 and Window XP Sp2.

My network is a Windows workgroup.

I've fiddled about and now can get windows to see into the debian box , it
can read and write to the file system.

I'm trying to get Debian to see a windows ntfs file system that is marked
shared to all and read only and a Windows printer.

I've looked all over the place for instructions on how to do this and have
not succeeded in finding a bunch that work.

Could someone point me a definitive list of instructions on how to go about
doing this.  I'm new to Linux, but I can follow instructions.  Please help.

Thanks

Larry