RE: Please brainstorm: Word-processor compatible with version control

[smip]

This probably isn't what you are wanting in whole, but it might be
something to consider. I tried finding something very similar to what
you were wanting for a friend who writes a lot. The best they had come
up with was eclipse with a few document management plugins they found
connected to a subversion server. I moved them to mediawiki as a test,
and they really liked it. From all of the versioning, to the linking of
documents, to the ability to outline and update the order of the outline
with almost no work, they loved everything.

The only two complaints they had was getting their work into a .doc or
.pdf required cut and paste then verify the formatting. Then after they
formatted it, they had to manually save the file back into mediawiki to
keep the revision history.

However, they write small books, article, newsletters, ect. So nothing
on a grand scale. I think the biggest work I know of is just over 50
pages of a normal 12 point font Courier document. I can see where
anything large could run into problems here.

Hope it helps.

Have fun!
~Stack~