Re: Please brainstorm: Word-processor compatible with version control

Hendrik Boom:

> I'd like a word processor compatible with version control systems
> (hereafter abbreviated VCS)  Having been duly impressed for decades now
> how useful VCSs are for programming, I'd like to use them for writing as
> well.

I wonder why you didn't even mention LaTeX in your post. Don't you know
it or don't you consider it because you need MS Word documents?

> I use monotone as my VCS. but I don't suppose my trials are unique to
> monotone.

I kept my whole university-related material in SVN and I wrote my
diploma thesis in LaTeX. I loved it.

> (3) Word processors that leave text in a human-readable form (properly
> word-wrapped, for example) cause insertion of a single character (such as
> a spelling change) to affect the layout of entire paragraphs.

You cannot avoid that except by using linebreaks as paragraphs and have
your editor do optical linewrapping.

> I'm currently using an ad-hoc notation in UTF-8, edited in emacs,
> formatted by homebrew code.

Why don't you use existing markup languages like Restrucured Text? I
started to use it to write blog postings (pyblosxom) and after only a
short time I got used to it.

> Isn't there something that already does most of what I really need?

To me, it sounds like your main problem is to find a smart-enough merge
program. Hm, I thought there should be plenty, but apt-cache searching
"merge editor" didn't reveal any useful packages.

J.
--
I often play sports / do exercise.
[Agree]   [Disagree]