Re: grub error in fresh installation lenny

Angus Auld a écrit :

> [...]
Hi,
You should compare the partitions ordering in your bios and your
/boot/grub/device.map, just to be sure you've installed grub on the
right /boot and/or MBR, and that the root partition addressing is right
in either menu.lst or grub.cfg.
That's what "error 22" relates to usually.

>> --
>> « Affarismo, egomania, consorterie, disprezzo
>> dell'opinione pubblica,
>> stupidità arrogante connotano i sistemi moribondi » --
>> F.C.
>> --
> I don't know specifically what your problem may be, but I tried updating grub legacy to grub2 on a running lenny install, and was left with a system that would not boot.
>
> I'm uncertain from your post if you are trying to use grub legacy or grub2, but there is/was a clear warning that grub2 is a work in progress, and that breakage should be expected. I have stayed with grub legacy and have not had any problems at all. I'm not sure what possible advantage grub2 might offer over grub legacy anyway. I've just stayed with what works for me. :)
>
> Hopefully someone else can offer you more advice on how to get grub2(?) to work.
>
> Best regards.

Using grub2 on Lenny here, no problem, I had to disable UUID in
/etc/default/grub :

GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

because with it I ended up with an unbootable system too. (not just
messed up partition ordering, really unbootable for some reason I
couldn't nail).
Advantages in my view are the ability to boot on ext4 partitions, I find
the /etc/grub.d/ templates quite flexible, I like the command line mode,
it's prettier (doesn't hurt). It also seems to ship with a lot of nice
advanced features, but I haven't tried them so far.

Tom