Re: [OT] Friday the 13th

On Tuesday 10 February 2009 15:16:49 Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/10/2009 07:30 AM, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> > On Tuesday 10 February 2009 13:32:59 Nate Bargmann wrote:
> >> * Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> [2009 Feb 10 06:27 -0600]:

<SNIP>
> >> $ date -d@1234567890
> >> Fri Feb 13 17:31:30 CST 2009
> What's so strange about people in different time zones getting
> different results?
>
> $ date -d@1234567890
> Fri Feb 13 17:31:30 CST 2009
>
> $ date --utc -d@1234567890
> Fri Feb 13 23:31:30 UTC 2009

Because according to man date:
       -d, --date=STRING
              display time described by STRING, not ‘now’

my guess was that string is not time zone related. Maybe I am wrong. But I
change my time zone to Pacific time, adjust the machine time to Pacific time,
and I still got the same answer! So, I still find it strange. My machine is
set UTC time.