Re: Strange arp problem

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 13:05:36 +1100
Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 05:25:55PM -0500, Celejar wrote:
> > [back on list]
> >
> > On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 09:06:16 +1100
> > Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:

> > > [snip]

> > > Okay, what about then you can't access from the local lan, have you
> > > tried running a tcpdump on the wireless link to see if the arp requests
> > > are making it to the machine ?
> >
> > That's certainly a good suggestion; ISTR that I tried that last time I
> > had the problem, but I'll have to try it again and report back.
>
> when I am trying to track problems like this I usually like to have
> tcpdump running on the 2 machines and if possible on the wireless router

Yes, I tried that previously, but as you surmise, I can't run it on the
AP, which is running proprietary firmware, and the hardware doesn't
support an open fw :(.  I'm actually playing with openwrt on two spare
routers that I have, but I have not yet switched out my
production one.

> I am guessing you don't have openwrt or ddwrt on some linux distro on
> the ap.  But if you can see the arp request  leaving the lan box and not making
> it to the wireless box then it might be a ap problem

I currently don't have access to the wireless network in question, but
I'll be playing with tcpdump next time I do.  Thanks for the help.

Celejar