Re: Strange arp problem

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 08:10:43PM -0500, Celejar wrote:
> I've posted about this before, but I still have no solution.
>
> I have a machine with an Atheros WiFi card.  From lspci:
>
> 02:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212/AR5213
> Multiprotocol MAC/baseband processor (rev 01)
>
> >From dmesg:
>
> ath5k phy0: Atheros AR2414 chip found (MAC: 0x79, PHY: 0x45)
>
> The card is supported by the in-kernel ath5k driver; I have previously
> used it with Madwifi.
>
> I frequently see that arp fails on the machine.  The card continues to
> function; I can access the internet via my home router, and I can even
> (sometimes) ssh into it from the internet (the router forwards port 22
> to that machine), but any attempt to connect to it from the local
> wireless network times out, and looking at the other machine's arp
> table indicates that arp is failing (table shows 'incomplete').
> Manually adding an arp entry with 'arp -s ip_addr mac_addr' fixes the
> problem, at least for a while.  What could be causing this?  I believe
> that I have experienced this problem even when the card was controlled
> by Madwifi.  Could this be a hardware issue?

Not sure if I can help but.

My understanding is, that wireless networks work in 2 modes, one where
each node can see each other and the other is where they can't see each
other.  But I believe the ap should have a record of each currently
connected node, maybe you machine is disassociating itself from the
wireless network ?

The AP should be able to see it at all times