Re: using modem with phone

On Saturday 07 February 2009 01:04:19 debian-user-digest-
request@lists.debian.org wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 09:17:45PM +0000, Bhasker C V wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> >  I tried to google around but could not even get a match near to what i
> > want. In fact i am running short of terminologies to exactly define what
> > i want.
> >
> >  What i want is, i want to use the internal modem of a system to work
> > as a PSTN gateway so that i can control my telephone when connected to
> > my modem. This way, i can make my telephone ring through my software. I
> > can re-route my audio in/out to the phone. Is this possible ? does the
> > modem protocol support this ?
>
> A standard modem will not do what you want.  Look up Asterisk
> (http://www.asterisk.org).  I think you will find this software
> is what you are looking for, and there are some hardware suggestions
> on the site too.
>
> Pat

I do not claim to be an expert. I have written and daily use a kde4 plasma-
applet to control a speaker-phone modem (get it a kde-apps.org). Needed this
because I do not have a phone-set by the machine. This way, I "do" :-)

To make phone ring through software, xringd (available in repositories) will
let you do that. I used parts of that code to monitor rings in my applet.

To route the audio, besides running cables to the sound card, I do not see how
to do this (unless the modem specifically supports such a thing). I wonder if
alsa drivers are around special for voice modems.

Asterisk is a very large pbx oriented suite but it probably the best developed
of any of the telephony programs. Might take a look.